Cholera breaks out in Jos as death toll from flood hits 47

There are fears of a possible cholera
outbreak within the areas affected by
floods in Jos, Plateau state.
A medical official of the Federation of Muslim
Women Association in Nigeria
in the state, Tawa Abdulrahama, on Tuesday
disclosed that no fewer than 65 persons
in various camps were being treated
for dysentery and diarrhoea.
“There are already high cases of cholera among
victims of the flood” she said.
The Commissioner for Water Resources and
Rural Development, Mallam Idi Waziri, who led a
delegation to assess the level of damage done
by the flood, said the government would support
the victims.
Death toll hits 47
Meanwhile, Nine more bodies were recovered on
Tuesday, taking the death toll from Sunday
evening’s floods in Rikkos, Gangere and Angwan
Rogo areas of Jos North to 47, while the
number of displaced persons hit 3,000.
The acting Zonal Coordinator for North Central
of the National Emergency Management Agency
(NEMA), Mohammed Abdulsalam, who
confirmed the account, said that the nine bodies
were “pulled out of the rubble of caved in
buildings on Monday evening”.
According to him, more casualties would have
been recorded if some residents had not
relocated to the homes of friends in other parts
of the local government. He further said over
200 houses were destroyed.
“So far we have 47 persons confirmed dead and
about 36 still missing. We have over 3,000
people in displaced camps and the immediate
concern is to give them some comfort by
providing relief materials” he said.
The NEMA chief added that searches were still
on to find those reported missing by their

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.