Bolton Wanderers midfielder Fabrice Muamba to retire

:Bolton Wanderers have announced that Fabrice
Muamba will retire five months after suffering a heart
attack during a match.
Muamba, who suffered a cardiac arrest during an FA
Cup tie with Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane in
March, had hoped to make a return after his heart had
stopped beating for 78 minutes. However, the 24
year-old has now been advised to retire following
consultations with leading cardiologists.
Muamba said: “Since suffering my heart attack and
being discharged from hospital, I have remained
utterly positive in the belief I could one day resume
my playing career and play for Bolton Wanderers
once again.
“As part of my on-going recovery, last week I
travelled to Belgium to seek further medical advice
from a leading cardiologist.
“But the news I received was obviously not what I
had hoped it would be and it means I am now
announcing my retirement from professional football.
“Football has been my life since I was a teenage boy
and it has given me so many opportunities.
"Above all else, I love the game and count myself
very lucky to have been able to play at the highest
level.
“While the news is devastating, I have much to be
thankful for.
“I thank God that I am alive and I pay tribute once
again to the members of the medical team who never
gave up on me.
“I would also like to thank everyone who has
supported me throughout my career, and the Bolton
fans who have been incredible.
“I am blessed to have the support of my family and
friends at this time.”
Chairman Phil Gartside said: “To have Fabrice here
and with us is truly amazing and we are all very
thankful for that.
“We are all hugely disappointed that Fabrice will be
unable to return to his playing career but we have to
be guided by the medical recommendations and the
best interests of Fabrice.
“The most important thing is that Fabrice and his
family have the rest of their lives ahead of them.”
Manager Owen Coyle said: “We have spoken with Fab
and he knows we will always support him in
whatever he wants to do and that we will always be
here for him.
“He is obviously massively disappointed that he
won’t be able to carry on his career, but everyone has
seen what a fighter and strong person he is in mind
and body.
“We know that he will go on to achieve great things
and within all this disappointment, the most
important thing is that he is here, alive, today.”:::::::

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.